As I expected, the next clue (clue 5) in the Mystery Afghan was adding a centerpiece to the granny square.
For this clue I could not rely on the diagram to help me understand the stitches – I watched Mikey’s video (from The Crochet Crowd) to understand how to create the flower. Once I understood, however, the clue finished up very quickly and I waited for the following week to continue with the afghan.
When I read the next clue, I saw that we were expected to join the squares. Placing my squares on the bed, I realised that this afghan would be too small to use – the size suggested was suitable for a crib or a small child. I decided to double the size of my afghan and thus began making twenty more squares.
I have now completed forty squares and have begun joining them. Working on enlarging my afghan has made me fall behind the rest of the crocheters who have worked on this afghan (in fact, most of them have completed the challenge). I am okay with that, though, as my result will give me an afhgan that can be used by myself and my family.
During the past week I worked on the first clue for the Mystery Afghan 2015. (If you want to join in, you can get the first clue here). The clue is to make 20 basic granny squares of 4 rows in the main contrast colour (contrast A).
I was pleased to see that the clue contained a drawing for me to follow (the written instructions are on the first page) as I find it easier to read and understand the drawings as opposed to the written instructions. My main contrast colour is white and so I began my squares with this basic colour.
If you wish to participate in the Crochet Along but are unsure of how to create a granny square, Michael Sellick’s video is helpful:
This week I completed clue #1 and am now ready to begin on the second clue. I am a little behind schedule but that is to be expected as I am doing my crocheting in between my work for the course I am following.
As you know, during the summer school vacation I worked on a crocheted bedspread for our queen size bed. I soon had the required number of granny squares which I joined to form rows.
These rows were soon joined to one another. The blanket quickly became big and heavy. To avoid getting hot, I placed the work next to me so that I would not get too uncomfortable.
My last decision was to decide on how to work the border. Deciding to continue with the granny square motif, I alternated the colours of my choice.
For the last row, I tried a curved edge. I liked the look of it, and decided to stay with my first choice.
Once the last stitch had been made and the final piece of thread worked away, I carried the work to my bedroom and laid it on my bed.
My family and I admired the result – my daughters called the blanket cosy. The room has a different look to it now. Now when the cooler days arrive, my husband and I will have something warm with which to cover ourselvest.
Have you completed a project during the summer/winter? What was it?
During the summer I have been working on the bedspread I am making since I picked up the hook once again.
When I had 50 granny squares stacked in my bag, I decided I needed to join them. Laying them out so I could have an idea in my head what they would look like, I searched the internet for ways in which I could use to join them.
I knew that I did not want to sew them together. In the past I have crocheted the squares together and I knew I wanted to do the same. After much browsing on YouTube, I decided to use the double crochet stitch to join them.
I liked the look of the ridge that is formed when joining and decided that I would use it for the right side of my bedspread.
After joining the first two rows, I decided to create my rows of eight squares – and then join the rows together.
With the joining of the rows, the blanket started to grow and get heavy. I would sit with my feet up and cover my legs on the few cool days we had.
Once I had joined all the squares, I saw that I had reached the halfway mark of my project.
Fifty squares had been made and joined but I had quite a few more to make.
I decided to pick up the hook again after eight years – that is, the crochet hook. My hands had been itching to do a little something creative so I decided to begin a project with the wool I had on hand.
I decided to make granny squares using two colours: lilac and white. I decided on eight rows per square which I felt would suit the size of my project.
I began to crochet a little in the morning when I was ready and had a few moments before I went to work. I took a little time after supper as well to get in a few rows.
Slowly the pile of granny squares grew. I procrastinated in joining them as I was trying to remember how I had done this before.
I did not worry, though, as I knew it would be a long while before I needed to begin joining. My intention was to make a bedspread for our queen size bed – and I would need plenty of squares for that!