Burned Apartment

The harsh sound of the fire alarm often echoes in our building, the noise painful and so loud it hurts the eardrums. A few years ago when the fire alarm went off, the cause was a real fire and not a false alarm.

© Colline Kook-Chun, 2014
Result of a fire. © Colline Kook-Chun, 2014

The smoke travelled far up into the building and its scent lingered for days. The fire completely gutted the apartment, leaving nothing in its wake.

© Colline Kook-Chun, 2014
Burned apartment. © Colline Kook-Chun, 2014

The cause of the fire was due to carelessness. Someone flicked the butt of their cigarette off the edge of their balcony. The cigarette butt fell onto one of the mattresses that someone had thrown away and placed next to the garbage bins down below. The mattress caught alight and the fire spread to the apartment above.

© Colline Kook-Chun, 2014
From the bottom up. © Colline Kook-Chun, 2014

My heart went out to the people who lived in the suite above the dumpsters for they lost everything.

© Colline Kook-Chun, 2014
Desolate. © Colline Kook-Chun, 2014

As a result of the fire, the landlord moved the position of the dumping area. Each day the workers move the furniture that has been thrown away to a distance beyond the walls of the building. Notices continue to be placed in our letterboxes reminding us not to throw things of the balcony. Sometimes I think a visual reminder needs to be added.

Have you been a victim of a fire?

© Colline Kook-Chun, 2014

(This post was inspired by Cee’s Fun Photography prompt: fire/season of summer)


34 thoughts on “Burned Apartment

  1. So many fires could have been avoided if people exercised just a little care and consideration for others. What a terrible and painful waste of life and property.


  2. Colline, I noticed that along that whole stretch of building, I see no visible sort of fire escape on the outside. (No steps, ladders, shutes, etc.) Is there no way for people to escape from a fire except from within the building?


    1. No there isn’t. This apartment building was built in the early 70’s so I do not know whether rules have changed since then. Thinking on it, I don’t think I have noticed outside steps on even the modern condos.


  3. Some people can be so careless Colline. The one responsible should be held accountable and the building owner as well. Those dumpsters shouldn’t be anywhere close to the building as it’s not very hygienic and as everyone can see, very unsafe as well. Those people could have lost their lives.


      1. Yep, like my mother used to say : “Now the culprit is dead!” LOL! I am glad the landlord did that. They could get in big trouble.


  4. ouf, Colline… j’ai hésité un moment avant de clicker sur “like”…. fire and water are useful to all of us, but they both can be devastating, too, hélas!


Share what you think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.