My girls enjoy eating broccoli and, because there are not too many vegetables that they will eat, I have had to find various ways in which to prepare it. I adapted the following vegetarian recipe to suit our tastes. The quiche is quick and easy to make – the oven does most of the work! It is delicious to eat with a salad and some fresh corn: perfect for those warm days when you want to eat a light lunch or dinner. On the colder days I prepare it with some squash, and a little mix of peas and carrots. While the pie is baking, you can spend time with your feet up, reading a book (I wish!)
Fresh broccoli, cut into pieces
2 cloves garlic (optional: I have made this recipe with, and without, garlic. Tastes good both ways)
Shredded mozzarella cheese
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk (I use unsweetened soya milk)
Butter puff pastry (I buy mine from the supermarket. Use butter pastry as opposed to the one made with oil – it tastes better!)
1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F).
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and broccoli. Cook until the vegetable is tender (it is best not to over cook the broccoli). If you are not using garlic, you can steam the broccoli – this method works just as well.
- Line a quiche / pie dish with the butter puff pastry. Spoon the broccoli into the dish (I use enough to fill the space). Sprinkle cheese generouslyover the broccoli.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl. Add the milk to the eggs and season with salt. Slowly pour this mixture over the broccoli.
- Bake in the oven for 30 – 45 minutes until the centre is cooked.
- Eat with a salad and some vegetables. Enjoy!
Will you give this recipe a try? Is broccoli one of the vegetables you enjoy eating?